- Plasma Physics
- Developing and applying plasma theory to present plasma confinement experiments, low temperature plasma sources for material processing, and space phenomena
- Secondary large scale instabilities in the drift wave turbulence
- Neoclassical effects on magnetic islands
- Drift waves and instabilities
- Waves and instabilities in ionosphere plasmas
- Anomalous Transport and Instabilities in Hall plasmas and Hall Thruster
- Magnetically Confined Plasmas and Thermonuclear Fusion
- Space and Astrophysical Plasmas, Space Propulsion
- Associate Editor, Physics of Plasmas, American Institute of Physics, 2018-
- Senior Editor, Transactions on Plasma Science, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, 2014-2018
- Review Editor for Frontiers in Physics and Astronomy and Space Sciences (Lausanne-Switzerland), 2014--
- Member of the Editorial Board, Plasma Physics Reports - Springer, 2016 –
- Scientific Committee for Festival de Théorie, Member, 2012-
- Co-Chair of the Organizing Committee for 2018 International Congress on Plasma Physics, Vancouver, BC Canada, 2016-2018
- Guest Editor for Special Issue on Invited and Tutorial Papers From ICOPS 2016, IEEE Nuclear and Plasma Sciences Society, 2016-2017
- Co-organizer for EXB Plasmas for Space and Industrial Applications, 21-23 June 2017, Toulouse (France)
- Guest Editor, Plasma Physics Reports - Springer, 2014-2016
- Member of the Editorial Board, Plasma Physics Reports - Springer, 2016--
- Guest Associate Editor, JSASS, Journal for the Japan Society for Aeronautical and Space Sciences, 2015-2016
- Member of the NSF/DOE Magnetized Plasmas Review Panel, National Science Foundation and Department of Energy, Washington, DC, USA, 2015-2016
- Member of the Organizing Committee for 2016 International Conference on Plasma Science, Banff, Alberta, Canada, 2014-2016
- Member of the NSF Grant Review Panel, National Science Foundation, Washington, DC, USA, 2014-2015
- NSERC Appeal Advisor for 2013 Competition, Physics Grant Selection Committee
- Member of NSERC Grant Selection Committee (Physics Evaluation Group), 2013-2014 Competition
- Member of Scientific Committee for ITER International Summer School, 2010-2011; 2011-2012, 2012-2013
- NSERC Appeal Advisor for 2012 Competition, Physics Grant Selection Committee
- Division of Plasma Physics, Canadian Association of Physicists, Past Chair, 2002- 2003
- Division of Plasma Physics, Canadian Association of Physicists, Chair, 2001- 2002
- Division of Plasma Physics, Canadian Association of Physicists, Vice-Chair, 2000-2001
- 42nd Annual Meeting of the Division of Plasma Physics of the American Physical Society, Program Committee, Member, 1999-2000.
- M.Sc., Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology, 1983, June. Division of Molecular and Chemical Physics, Department of Physics and Chemistry of Plasmas, EngineerPhysicist.
- Ph.D., Candidate of Physical and Mathematical Sciences, 1986, June. Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology.
- Professional Engineer, Accredited by the Association of Professional Engineers of Saskatchewan (2002).
- Professional Physicist, professional designated granted by the Canadian Association of Physicists, October 2002.
Appointments and Promotions (USask)
- Professor, July 2003- present.
- Associate Professor, July 1998- June 2003.
- Assistant Professor, July 1995-June 1998, Department of Physics and Engineering Physics.
- Professional Research Associate, July 1993-Sept 1994, Department of Physics and Engineering Physics.
- Visiting Professor, Sept 1994-June 1995, Department of Physics and Engineering Physics.
- Visiting Scientists, April 1992-Sept 1992, International Exchange Award by the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada, Department of Physics.
- Canadian Association of Physicists, 1995-
- College of Graduate Studies and Research, 1995-
- American Physical Society, 1994-.
Previous Positions relevant to USask emploment
- Research Associate, Department of Nuclear Engineering and Engineering Physics, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, WI USA, October 1992-July 1993.
- Research Fellow, Department of Plasma Physics, I.V. Kurchatov Institute of Atomic Energy, Moscow, Russia, July 1989-April 1992.
- Junior Research Fellow, Department of Plasma Physics, I.V. Kurchatov Institute of Atomic Energy, Moscow, Russia, September 1986-July 1989.
- Assistant Professor (part time, 50%), Department of General Physics, Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology, February 1990-April 1992.
- Referee-Translator (part-time), Section of Atomic Energy, National Institute of Scientific and Technical Information, Moscow, Russia, October 1989-April 1992.
- Visiting Fellow, Isaac Newton Institute for Mathematical Sciences, University of Cambridge, July 19-31, 2010, Cambridge, UK.
- GIDE Fellowship, Commissariat Energie Atomique, Cadarache, France, 2009
- GIDE Fellowship, Commissariat Energie Atomique, Cadarache, France, 2005.
- Global Partners Award, University of Saskatchewan, 2004.
- Fellow of the American Physical Society, 2004
- Visiting Professor, University of California at San Diego, La Jola, 1999-2004, 2007.
- Visiting Professor, Institute of Plasma Physics, CNR-EURATOM, Milan, Italy, 2000.
- Japan Atomic Energy Research Fellowships, 2000/2001
- Going Global -Science and Technology with European Partners Award, Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade, Administered by the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada, 1997.
- International Exchange Award by the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada, April - September 1992.